Gateshead Council

Site Search


Catalogue

FIND OUT MORE

Kibblesworth


Kibblesworth
an old mining community


Kibblesworth (Cybbel’s Enclosure)
A village 2 miles west of Birtley, Kibblesworth was a mainly rural community until the development of the pit and brickworks and the resulting increase in population. Now, after the closure of the pit, few of the residents work in the village.

Farms
Before the sinking of Robert Pit, employment for many people in Kibblesworth was farming. The three farms near the village centre, Kibblesworth West, South and East farms, were all still working farms in 1939.

Churches & Chapels
Kibblesworth is in the parish of St. Andrew, Lamesley. While the area was agricultural, this was the centre of worship for the people of Kibblesworth. After the development of the mining industry, the Primitive Methodist Chapel (1864) and Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (1867), provided social as well as religious life for the village. The present chapel was built by the Wesleyan Methodists in 1913. The Primitive Methodist Chapel is now a candle making factory.

The Colliery
Although there had been coal-mining in the Kibblesworth area from medieval times, relatively few men were employed in the industry until the sinking of Robert Pit in 1842. From this date the fortunes of the village followed those of the industry with particular black spots during the strikes of 1921 and 1926 and the depression of the 1930s, high spots in the boom of the 1950s and 60s, and eventually closure of the pit in 1974.

The Bowes Railway
Transporting coal from Kibblesworth to the Tyne at Jarrow, the line was started by Stephenson in 1826 and extended to Kibblesworth when Robert Pit was sunk in 1842. The railway used three types of power - locomotives, stationary engines and self-acting inclines.

Spout Burn
The square at Spout Burn was built to house the miners of Robert Pit. It was demolished between 1965 and 1966, and replaced by old people’s bungalows the following year and the Grange Estate from 1973.

Kibblesworth Old Hall
Better known as ’the Barracks’, the Old Hall was divided up into tenements. The memory survives, in the street named Barrack Terrace. The hall was demolished and replaced by the Miner’s Institute in 1934. The area has recently been redeveloped for housing.

Kibblesworth Hall
Demolished in 1973, this hall for many years was the home of the colliery manager.

Kibblesworth School
Built in 1875, the school closed in 1972 when the present school opened.








USEFUL LINKS








FEATURED STORIES



Barlow

Bensham

Bill Quay

Birtley

Blackhall Mill

Chopwell

Dunston

Felling

High Spen

Kibblesworth






SECTIONS



A History of Low Fell
A History of Low Fell
A Four part series By M. Hope Dodds

libraries@gateshead.gov.uk

Gateshead Central Library
Prince Consort Road, Gateshead, NE8 4LN
Tel: 0191 433 8410

© Gateshead Council 2011 | Terms | Privacy & Cookies : Find out More| Site Map